Call today: 941.328.3993

Unfiled Tax Returns Unpaid Taxes

Under the rules of the Internal Revenue Service, not filing your income tax return is not only expensive, but it is illegal. Harsh penalties are imposed upon individuals and businesses who do not file or pay their taxes. Many people choose not to file because they think they cannot pay the taxes due. However, not filing can make matters much worse than admitting you owe taxes and working out an arrangement with the IRS. Let Koontz & Parkin, CPAs assist you with getting your tax return filed.

The failure to file penalty is significant. The typical failure to file penalty when no fraud or negligence is involved is 5% per month on the total tax liability that is owed. This penalty begins the day after the tax return was due. When fraud or negligence is involved, the rate jumps to 15%. Get help before penalties start. Even if you have not filed in years, it is recommended that you start. It is never too late to comply.

If you can prove to the IRS that there was reasonable cause for your failure to file on time, the IRS may remove or reduce your tax penalties. In order to do so you must file what is called a Request for Penalty Abatement. The IRS handles each request for penalty abatement on a case by case basis. If you have penalties that are a significant portion of your total tax bill, it is a good idea to consider using Koontz & Parkin, CPAs to review your tax situation and to negotiate with the IRS on your behalf.

Substitute for Return (SFR)

If you do not file your tax return, the IRS has a solution to start the collection process from you. After months of notices requesting a return be filed, the IRS will create a substitute for your return. A Substitute for Return (SFR) is a formal way for the Internal Revenue Service to make an estimate of how much you might owe for your taxes. The purpose of a Substitute for Return (SFR) is to calculate a definite dollar amount of your tax liability so that the IRS can begin collection efforts. The IRS uses its substitute tax return to issue a proposed assessment of taxes you owe and that calculation is based on all the income reported to IRS without consideration for any deductions to which you may be entitled. Therefore, the balance is typically much higher than what is truly due.

If you fail to respond to the proposed assessment, the IRS assessment will become final. Once the IRS assessment becomes final, the IRS can legally collect on the tax for a period of ten years. The best way to avoid and resolve a Substitute for Return situation is to file a tax return. Let Koontz & Parkin, CPAs offer you proper assistance to avoid IRS tax issues.

Contact Koontz & Parkin, CPAs to File Your Late Income Tax Return.

Jo Ann M. Koontz and Marina Parkin offer a powerful combination of in-depth knowledge of tax regulations, a firm grasp of the business world, and years of experience representing clients. To schedule a consultation, call the Sarasota office of Koontz & Parkin, CPAs at 941.328.3993.

Share This Information

Related Pages

Schedule a Consultation

Marina Contact

Marina parkin 941-328-3993